TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - The Ferrea valves wore out just like the soft valve I showed
People Seeking Info

Subject The Ferrea valves wore out just like the soft valve I showed

Posted by Ash's Z on December 02, 2004 at 5:13 PM
  This message has been viewed 661 times.

In Reply To Why was the peacemaker blew-up? Valve lash? posted by timz on December 02, 2004 at 04:54 PM

Message in the pictures. The heads were originally built with the exact specifications that Tomei calls for (0.014" on the exhaust and 0.017" on the intake) and they were rather noisy. I measured the lash myself when we got the original heads for it.

Only the intake valves wore out though - the exahaust valves are made from an inconel alloy and did not suffer the same effects.

When the valves wore out, they wore way beyond the lash point and the cams began grinding into the caps of the solid lifters. Eventually one of the solid lifter caps wore paper thin and broke causing the stem in the lifter to pop up into the camshaft, which caused a bind of the cam, breaking the timing belt and everything else went boom boom shacka lacka.

When building the heads, all of the valves were hand-lapped to their seats and the lash was set to 0.012".

[ ashspecz.com ]
[ agpowers@bellsouth.net ]

Enthusiasts soon understand each other. --W. Irving.
Are you an enthusiast?

If you are out to describe the truth, leave elegance to the tailor.
Albert Einstein

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.